Seventy years after “Fat Man” – level 1
The USA dropped a bomb on Nagasaki in Japan. This was in August 1945. The bomb was an atomic bomb. Its name was “Fat Man”. It killed 150,000 people.
This was 70 years ago. People commemorate this. They meet in the Nagasaki Peace Park. The park is where the bomb exploded.
The Japanese Prime Minister is there, too. He talks to people. He says that he wants a world without atomic bombs.
Difficult words: drop (to make something fall down), ago (before), commemorate (to show respect for something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the attack?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.