Shark attack in Australia – level 3
A 63 year-old woman has been killed by a shark off the New South Wales coast in Australia.
Christine Armstrong was swimming with friends from the wharf at Tathra to the beach this morning, when she became separated from the group.
“They came across a shark that was three or four metres in size. They just came together as a group to defend themselves and made their way back to shore.”
Police said a land and sea search had been underway since a witness spotted what appeared to be a shark attacking something in the water.
“She’s been heavily involved in the club, in training and assessing of members. She’s done over 300 patrol hours here at Tathra and was a regular participant in the ocean swim.”
The New South Wales Ambulance Service said partial remains of a woman have been found, but could not immediately be linked to Christine’s disappearance.
Difficult words: wharf (structure next to which boats in the water can park), spot (see), heavily (very), assess (to make a judgement).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.