Ship disaster – level 1
A Singapore ship starts to burn near Sri Lanka. The ship carries chemicals and cosmetics.
The fire starts two weeks ago. The captain and the crew must leave the ship. Sri Lanka soldiers try to stop the fire. It is very difficult. It is possible that the ship will sink.
Oil gets to the beaches. Another problem is even bigger. Small pieces of plastic cover the beaches. They are very dangerous for sea animals and for the natural world, too. Soldiers are cleaning the beaches.
It is possible that the ship will sink. Hundreds of tons of oil can get into the ocean. It is a big disaster.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.