Ship in Storm – level 1
A cargo ship is a big ship which travels from one port to another. Thousands of containers are on a cargo ship. The containers are full of things which people buy.
A cargo ship sinks in the Indian Ocean in 2013. More than 1,700 containers fall in the sea in 2013. A fire destroys more than 2,400 containers. The ship sinks to the bottom of the ocean. It is the biggest accident ever.
The second biggest accident happens last week. A Japanese cargo ship has problems in a storm in the Pacific Ocean. The waves are 16 meters high.
The ship loses 1,800 containers. 60 containers are full of dangerous things. These things are, for example, fireworks and batteries. The ship is in Japan now. Experts must make sure that the storm does not break it.
Difficult words: port (a city at the sea where ships come), container (a big box that people use when they want to take things from one place to another), sink (to go down in water), firework (a device that explodes and it usually makes a loud noise and nice lights).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.