Shocking advertisement – level 3
This shocking advert has been banned from appearing on television until after the 9 o’clock watershed.
The minute-long video starts with a classroom of children playing and preparing to leave for a school trip, whilst a man grabs his breakfast at home and heads out in his car.
As the children play in a park, we see the man lose control of his car and crash through a wall.
But, on the other side of the wall are the children. The car flips through the air, landing on them and crushing them instantly.
The Northern Ireland road safety ad was made to highlight the dangers of speeding after figures showed 28 children have died from it since 2000.
Road safety minister Mark Durkan insisted the advert was sensitive.
The video then concludes with an empty classroom and the devastating statistic.
“You can never control the consequences, if you speed.”
Difficult words: ad=advert=advertisement (announcement in a public medium), the 9 o’clock watershed (the time after which shocking television programmes can be shown), insist (demand something to happen), sensitive (shocking), conclude (end), devastating (shocking), consequence (outcome).
Can an advertisement like this change anything?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.