Shootings in Rio – level 1
This news is from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. The city has a crime problem. People shoot and kill people. From January to April of 2018, police kill 469 people.
It is worse this year. From January to April of 2019, police kill 558 people. In all of 2018, police kill 1534 people in Rio.
The New York Times says that there are gangs in Rio. They are the problem. They make the city bad.
Some people think that it is good that the police kill the criminals. They think that the police stop the criminals by killing them.
Other people think that this is not good. They think that good people can be scared of police.
Difficult words: gang (an organised groups of criminals).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.