Signal App – level 1
Signal is an app. People have it in their phones. People can send messages and call with it. Signal is becoming very popular.
Signal and WhatsApp are very similar. Many people use WhatsApp in the past. Now they are starting to use Signal.
Brian Acton and Jan Koum make WhatsApp in 2009. They sell it to Facebook in 2014. They sell it for 22 billion dollars.
It is an important business for Facebook. Facebook wants to make money from WhatsApp. Then Facebook needs information about WhatsApp users. It is a problem for Acton. He says that this information must be safe.
Acton stops working for WhatsApp in 2017. He starts a new company. It is Signal Messenger. Signal does not have problems with information about users. The messages are safe, too. Only the person who gets a message can read it.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.