Singer at Court – level 1
R. Kelly is a famous singer. Many people like his songs. In 1998, he gets a Grammy award.
In 2008, Kelly must go to court. He has big problems with child pornography. He has a trial in Chicago, USA. Kelly wants to change what people say during the trial. He wants to give them money if they say something different.
In July 2019, police arrest Kelly again. Since that time, Kelly is with the police. Officials say that Kelly has problems with child pornography and sex-trafficking.
Kelly has problems in Chicago, New York, and Minnesota, USA. The judge in New York changes the date of his trial. The new date is in September of this year. Kelly’s lawyer is not happy. He is afraid of the coronavirus.
The singer says that he does nothing wrong.
Difficult words: child pornography (when someone makes or gives out videos or pictures in which are children doing sexual activities), trial (an official process when a judge must decide if a person does something wrong or not), sex-trafficking (an illegal activity when someone does business with people who do sexual activities in another country or another place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos