Sinkhole in Japan – level 3
Just one week ago, a giant sinkhole opened up in Japan. It devoured a five-lane intersection near the station. The city mayor apologised for the sinkhole and blamed it on a nearby construction of a subway line extension.
The sinkhole started filling up with sewage water, so officials and engineers battled against the time, and they managed to restore the traffic to the city just one week after the incident took place.
Nearly 100 local establishments reported losses of business during the operation, but the government promised to compensate them before the end of the year.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.