Sir Roger Bannister Dies Aged 88 – level 1
In 1954, people record Sir Roger Bannister run a mile. He runs it in Oxford, England. He runs the mile in less than four minutes. He breaks a world record.
He is humble about his achievement. He says that breaking records is not that important. He says that somebody probably can run faster than he can. He says that somebody probably can run faster than that person, also.
Bannister lives to age 88. He gets a disease. He dies surrounded by his family.
Difficult words: humble (he is not proud about it), achievement (something good that you do), disease (a serious sickness).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos