Sixth finger – level 3
Japanese researchers and the French National Center for Scientific Research co-developed a robotic sixth finger.
You wear the finger next to the pinkie, and the aim is to study the brain’s reaction to new and independent body parts. Scientists already know that we move our own body with our brain, and now, they want to find out if our brain can adapt to a new body part. The research started because they were interested to study if the brain will accept the sixth finger or not use the finger for convenience.
Sensors measure electrical signals from muscles, and they then transfer them to a motor to control the robotic finger. Researchers say that the sixth finger can enhance daily human activities such as typing and carrying more objects. Scientists say that if this technology develops, one day, people may be able to freely design their bodies. An example is glasses that are an accessory and functional, too.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.