Skater takes illegal drug – level 2
Kamila Valieva is a 15-year-old Russian figure skater who is competing at the Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.
In December last year, a lab took a sample of her blood to check if Valieva used illegal drugs. On February 8, the results came that Valieva used trimetazidine. Doctors normally give this drug to patients with heart problems. Since 2014, athletes can’t use this drug because it is possible to train harder and longer.
Valieva and her team already won a gold medal at the Olympics, but officials postponed the medal ceremony. A court will decide if Valieva will be in other Olympic events.
Difficult words: lab (a place where scientists work), sample (a small piece of something), medal ceremony (when the best athletes get medals at the end of a game or competition).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos