Skewer in Boy’s Head – level 2
In Missouri, USA, Xavier Cunningham was in a tree when insects attacked him. He fell onto a meat skewer which went into his skull, but it passed by major arteries in his brain.
Doctors at the University of Kansas were able to remove it with about 100 surgeons and doctors helping the boy in operations. The doctors said that his survival was ‘miraculous’.
Difficult words: skewer (a thin, long piece of metal for cooking meat or vegetables), artery (a very big tube that moves blood inside the body), miraculous (like a miracle – magical, amazing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What innovative techniques did the doctors use to minimize the risk of injury to Xavier?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos