Skiing in Africa – level 2
When you imagine Africa, you probably imagine white sandy beaches or lions wandering across savannas. Surprisingly, the continent is also attractive for skiers who are looking for more unusual destinations.
There are five mountain ranges in Africa which have enough snow for skiing. One of them is the mountain kingdom of Lesotho in southern Africa. People are surprised how good the snow is. Under a bright sun, skiers and snowboarders can enjoy the snow which they would expect to find in the Alps.
Last year was very bad for the resort in Lesotho. Many places closed, and it was not possible to travel to Africa because of the coronavirus. Usually, around 17,000 people visit the place every year. In 2020, there were almost no visitors, and this year, the number of visitors was about a half of the usual number.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.