Skiing in Africa – level 3
A vacation in Africa usually conjures images of palm-fringed beaches or safari tours. However, the mountain kingdom of Lesotho in southern Africa is attracting tourists who seek a more adventurous skiing destination.
Under a bright sun, skiers and snowboarders are enjoying the kind of powder you might find in the Alps. The continent has five mountain ranges with enough seasonal snow to create the potential for ski slopes. Most people don’t think of Africa for a ski holiday, and they are amazed at what they find.
The ski resort in Lesotho, like many other travel destinations, has struggled during the global health crisis. South Africa has been hit hard and is on most countries’ red lists. The resort’s owner said that tourist numbers fell to almost nothing in 2020 and are only half the usual 17,000 this year.
Difficult words: conjure (to make you think of something), powder (soft snow that makes sports easy to do), red list (a list of people or things that are prohibited or are not allowed).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos