Small baboon at the Bronx Zoo – level 1
A monkey is born. It is a boy. He is 460 grams heavy. When he gets older, he will be 30 kilograms heavy.
He is a gelada baboon. This type of monkey is special. This type of monkey eats grass. Gelada baboons are also called bleeding-heart baboons. Why? They have some red skin on their chests.
The baby baboon lives at the Bronx Zoo. This zoo is in New York, USA.
Difficult words: bleed (when the red “water” gets out of your body), heart (a very important organ in the middle of your chest), chest (the front part of your body between your neck and your belly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like monkeys?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.