Smoking Elephant – level 1
There is a video of an elephant. It looks like it is smoking. However, the elephant is eating charcoal. It is blowing out ash. Charcoal is healthy. People say that wild animals eat it.
Difficult words: charcoal (a black material which is left after something is burned), blow out (let air out of the mouth or nose), ash (a very fine grey ‘sand’ which is produced when something is on fire).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.