Socks and the new French president – level 1
People in France vote for a new president. A shop sells special socks. The faces of eight candidates are on the socks.
The shop predicts the president. 29% of customers buy socks with the face of Eric Zemmour. He has strong opinions about immigration and Islam. President Emmanuel Macron is next. 24% of customers buy socks with his face.
It is for fun. Nobody really knows who will win.
The socks are in many places. People from all around the world buy them. President Macron is the most popular in Germany. Zemmour socks sell best in Canada.
Difficult words: candidate (a person who people vote for as a leader), predict (to say what will probably happen in the future), immigration (when people come to live to another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos