Solar Eclipse – level 1
A solar eclipse is the eclipse of the sun. It happens when the moon gets between the earth and the sun.
Sometimes, the moon makes a shadow on only a part of the sun. Sometimes, a total eclipse happens. It is the moment when the moon makes a shadow on the sun completely. People can see a dark disc with a light circle. The circle is called a corona.
A total eclipse does not happen very often. It is important to know how far the moon is from the earth.
Only one total eclipse happens in 2020. People in South America can watch it. Monday´s total eclipse is two minutes long. It is summer in South America. It is a good time to watch the eclipse. The sun is high in the sky.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.