Solar plane – level 1
People work on a plane. It takes them 12 years. This plane is special. It is a solar plane. It uses sunlight to fly.
The plane is not heavy. It is only as heavy as a car. It has 17,000 solar cells. These things turn light into electricity. The plane can fly during the day. It also collects energy during the day. This energy is used for night flying. The plane can fly for weeks or months. It does not need to stop.
People are testing the plane. If everything goes well, the plane will fly around the world. The flight will take five days and nights. The flight will happen in March 2015.
Difficult words: solar cells (things that turn light into electricity), collect (get), flight (the action of flying).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
Do you use solar energy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.