Soldier in the jungle – level 1
This news is from Colombia. Soldiers are in a jungle. One of them separates from the group. He gets lost.
He is in the jungle for 23 days. He walks and looks for food. He eats plants, turtle meat and fruit. He drinks very little water. He thinks about his family. This keeps him going. He makes up his own rap songs, too.
His fellow soldiers find him. Everybody is very happy. They give the soldier food and take him to hospital.
Difficult words: separate (to get away), make up (to make in your head), fellow soldiers (the soldiers in his group, his friends).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos