Soldier shoots people – level 1
Here is some news from the USA. A soldier fought in Iraq. He is not mentally OK. He is under a lot of stress. He does something bad at a military base in Texas.
He drives to two buildings. He starts to shoot a gun. He kills three people. He injures sixteen people. People stop the soldier. He kills himself.
This is not the first shooting at this base. There was a shooting in 2009. That shooting killed thirteen people. It injured thirty-two people. President Obama is worried about this event.
Difficult words: mentally (with the mind), to be under a lot of stress (to be very unhappy), military base (place with soldiers), injure (have problems with the body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a gun at home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos