Soldiers shoot at a nuclear power plant – level 1
Russia attacks Ukraine more than one week ago. On Friday, Russian soldiers get to a nuclear power plant. It is in eastern Ukraine. It is the largest nuclear power plant in Europe.
Soldiers shoot in the area of the plant. A fire starts. Luckily, soldiers don’t damage the most important parts of the plant. Firefighters stop the fire after several hours. Radiation in the area doesn’t change. Nobody is hurt.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy speaks to world leaders. He says that Europe must do something. If the plant explodes, it will be a big problem for the whole Europe.
Difficult words: nuclear power plant (a place where people make electricity from the smallest things called atoms), radiation (a form of energy, which people don’t see, and which is dangerous to all living things), explode (to break up into pieces with a great force and noise).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.