Somalia crisis – level 2
Since last year, violent attacks in Somalia increased. At the same time, the country is experiencing the worst drought in 40 years.
Reports say that the number of attacks increased by 30% since last year, and hospitals are overwhelmed with patients. Recently, several deadly attacks also happened in big cities. Doctors tried to treat all patients, but more people were coming.
Another problem is a high number of malnourished children. Dry weather led to less food for everyone. People move to areas where they can grow crops and to run away from danger. The UN said that more than 500,000 children could die from hunger and that some parts of Somalia are at risk of famine.
Difficult words: drought (a long period of time without rain), malnourished (weak and without good food), at risk of famine (the time before many people don’t have enough food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos