Southern Europe on fire – level 1
Wildfires are in nine Mediterranean countries. At least 40 people die.
Algeria has the biggest problems. A region in the mountains is on fire. 34 people die there. Neighboring Tunisia also has wildfires. A heatwave hits Sicily and Calabria in Italy. There are many wildfires because of the hot weather. Firefighters in Turkey, Croatia, Syria, and Gran Canaria fight with fires. Another fire is in a natural park near Lisbon, Portugal.
Scientists say that people make all these problems. The weather is changing. Fires happen more often. And they are bigger and more dangerous.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What solutions have been proposed to reduce the risks posed by increasing wildfires in Mediterranean countries?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.