Southern Europe on fire – level 2
Wildfires swept through nine countries in the Mediterranean, which led to the loss of 40 lives, mostly in Algeria.
Algeria’s authorities reported 34 deaths in the mountainous northern region, while Tunisia also faced wildfires. In Italy, during an extreme heatwave, Sicily and Calabria experienced many wildfires, which claimed two lives. Firefighters fought against blazes in Turkey, Croatia, Syria, Gran Canaria, and a natural park near Lisbon, Portugal.
Scientist Izidine Pinto said that the increasing frequency and intensity of these wildfires were directly linked to the climate crisis which people caused.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures can be taken to prevent and respond to the ongoing threat of wildfires linked to climate change?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.