Spacecraft wakes up – level 2
In November 2014, scientists sent a spacecraft probe to land on a comet. The probe successfully landed and worked for 60 hours, but when it ran out of energy, it stopped working. It happened to sit in a shadow and its solar battery could not recharge.
When the comet moved closer to the sun, the shadow moved and the probe’s battery received solar power. Recently, the probe started to send transmissions to scientists again. It even sent a tweet!
Difficult words: probe (an electronic machine that people send to study something far away), recharge (to get energy again), transmission (a message).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the spacecraft being on a comet?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos