Spain heatwave – level 1
The weather is very hot in Spain right now. The temperatures are almost 44 degrees Celsius. Heatwaves happen more and more often.
This pre-summer heatwave is the worst in the past 20 years. It is a problem for people. They don’t have time to adapt to high temperatures. They feel sick and dizzy. They have a headache. Experts say that summer starts 20 to 40 days earlier than 50 years ago.
Another problem is fires. The land is very dry. Fires happen often. Almost 3,000 people must leave their homes last week. A big fire is near the city of Málaga.
Difficult words: heatwave (a longer period of time when the weather is much hotter than usual), pre-summer (something that happens before summer), frequent (happens often).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos