Special flight over the English Channel – level 2
A pilot flew from the south of England to Calais in an electric plane. The 74-kilometre journey took him 37 minutes. This is the first time an electric plane flew across the English Channel.
However, another pilot says that he was the first one, and that he flew from France to England and back.
The plane, the Airbus E-Fan, is 6 metres long, 590 kilograms heavy and releases zero emissions. Its batteries let it fly for up to 50 minutes. It has two seats and a total engine power of 60kW.
Difficult words: journey (way), emission (a gas which is sent into the air).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do electric planes have a future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.