Speedboat is out of control – level 3
A sailor in England was trying to tie up his boat when he accidentally knocked the throttle and was thrown overboard. He had already unclipped the kill cord and pushed the throttle lever to full power, as he fell into the water.
The six-meter-long speedboat began to circle the quay. Luckily though, a member of the public spotted it and raised alarm. A lifeboat crew managed to get a line aboard the spinning boat, reach the throttle lever, and reduce the speed. The boat’s owner managed to get ashore safely and was rushed to the hospital.
Difficult words: throttle (a mechanism which controls the speed of something), kill cord (a line which connects a man and a boat and turns off the boat if the man falls out), quay (a place for boats to stop).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How did the lifeboat crew manage to reduce the speed of the boat?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.