Spider web music – level 3
Researchers have created 3D models of spider webs to listen for spider signals. Then, they recreated the sounds with the help of computers and algorithms.
The world of spiders isn´t audible to the human ear; however, artificial intelligence helps solve some of the mystery. Silk from a spider web is five times stronger than steel, and as the web gets more dense, the sound gets more complex.
The frequency spectrum, the chords, or we can even say melodies, are the kind of relationships that spiders would also experience. Therefore, in a way, we can begin to feel a little bit like spiders. The discovery could lead to innovations in construction and repair, and scientists hope that one day, they could communicate with spiders.
Difficult words: algorithm (a set of mathematical instructions that a computer must follow to solve a problem), audible (able to be heard), frequency spectrum (the range of vibrations within which a signal occurs), chord (a combination of notes that makes music).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.