Sri Lanka farmers protest – level 1
Farmers in Sri Lanka are not happy. The government says that they cannot use chemical fertilizers. A fertilizer is a substance which farmers put in the ground. It helps plants grow better.
In the past, most farmers use chemical fertilizers. In Sri Lanka, now, they must use organic fertilizers. The government says that it is better for the natural world.
Sadly, farmers do not know how to do it. The government does not help them. Thousands of farmers protest.
More than 60% of people in Sri Lanka depend on farmers. It is possible that people will not have enough food. They also agree that farmers must use less chemicals.
Difficult words: organic (something that comes from the natural world), protest (to show openly that you do not agree with something), depend (to need something because it makes life better or easier).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos