Sri Lanka’s president resigns – level 1
For months, people in Sri Lanka have many problems. The power turns off. Food and fuel are hard to find. The money loses its value.
Last week, many people protest. The president is worried. He leaves to another country. He tells the prime minister he is the president for a little time.
Then, protestors go to the president’s home. They stay in the home. They say that they will leave if the president resigns. More protestors go to the prime minister’s home. They also stay in it.
The next day, the prime minister resigns. The prime minister becomes the official president. The government wants this situation. He stays the president until a new president gets the job.
Some protestors are happy. Some of them worry. They do not know if the country’s situation will get better.
Difficult words: value (how much things you can buy), protest (to tell the government you are unhappy), resign (to quit your job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos