Statue of Erdogan – level 3
A golden statue of Turkish President Erdogan was part of a ‘bad news’-themed art festival in Wiesbaden, a city in Germany. The statue was based on the statue of Saddam Hussein which the US army toppled in 2003.
Authorities recently removed the four-metre effigy because, as they said, it provoked conflict by drawing pro and anti-Erdogan demonstrations. The artists behind the statue said that it started a public debate, so it fulfilled its purpose.
Difficult words: themed (with the motive, topic), topple (knock down), authorities (the administration, the local government), effigy (a sculpture of a person).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos