Statue of Nelson Mandela – level 3
A 6-metre-tall statue of Nelson Mandela has been unveiled in the West Bank City of Ramallah. The city’s mayor attended the ceremony and said it’s the first statue South Africa has given outside its border and is part of a relationship between Ramallah and Johannesburg. The statue sits in a square named after Mandela.
Twenty-two years ago, the first post-apartheid elections were held, leading to Nelson Mandela becoming South Africa’s first black president. Now the 27th of April is a public holiday, called South Africa’s Freedom Day.
Mandela remained president until 1999 and guided South Africa from apartheid to a multi-racial democracy. He’s an icon of peace and the embodiment of the struggle for justice around the world.
He passed away at 95 years old at his home in Johannesburg in December 2013.
Difficult words: unveil (to show people something for the first time), apartheid (a system of discrimination), struggle (trying to achieve something difficult).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.