Strike in South Korea – level 3
More than 40,000 South Korean workers in different industries went on strike as the government said that their pay should be based on their job performance rather than on their position or seniority. Workers from car manufacturer Hyundai, amongst others, were present.
The workers demand a stop to adopting the legal wage system based on performance which the government is pushing and they say will hurt the people.
The government defended itself by saying that this new change has been brought in to improve on low levels of productivity. Workers hope that the protest will achieve their aim and allow the disputes to be resolved soon.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.