Surfers and a whale – level 1
This news is from Australia. Surfers see a whale. There is a helicopter above them. It tells the surfers to stay away from the whale.
But the surfers come close to it. The whale is calm in the beginning. Then it gets stressed. It hits the water with its tail. This whale weighs 80 tonnes. It measures 16 metres.
It is illegal to get too close to whales. It is dangerous for people and the whales.
Difficult words: calm (nice), weigh (be heavy), stress (be upset), illegal (you must not do illegal things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any dangerous animals in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.