Surveillance blimp goes down – level 3
A surveillance blimp in Kabul, Afghanistan, is seen here deflated and falling to the ground. The balloon was in the same vicinity as an RAF military helicopter, which crashed, killing five crew members and injuring five more. It is unclear whether this incident is related to the helicopter crash.
Media reports, quoting military officials, say the blimp was severed from its mooring during an incident involving a NATO aircraft. Officials have said investigations are underway.
Difficult words: surveillance (“security”; for watching people), blimp (a small airship), deflated (without gas inside), vicinity (the area), RAF (Royal Air Force), sever (to cut off), mooring (the ropes which connected the blimp to the ground).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.