Taiwanese Taxes Protests – level 1
In Taiwan, thousands of protesters come together. They do this three times in seven days. They are protesting for a tax reform. A group organises the protests. It tries to change taxes in Taiwan for years.
The ‘yellow vest’ protests happen in France. These protests give people in Taiwan hope.
The French protests stop the government from raising a gas tax.
People in Sweden, Israel, and Belgium also have similar protests. People are not sure if there can be changes in Taiwan.
Difficult words: tax reform (a change to taxes – the money you pay to help run a country), government (the ‘bosses of a country’), gas tax (extra money on gasoline – the liquid we use to run many things like electricity and cars).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos