Taiwan’s first female president – level 2
Tsai Ing-wen is Taiwan’s first female president. The leader of the Democratic Progressive Party has a challenge ahead of her.
She must balance the pressures of superpowers China and the USA, and she must also listen to her own people. Tsai Ing-wen is pro-independence and says that Taiwan’s identity should be protected.
One voter said that the government must carefully manage the relations with China. Another voter hoped that the new government will treat people with more respect.
Difficult words: progressive (modern, forward-looking), independence (being independent – free from outside control), treat (to behave towards).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the new president of Taiwan?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos