Tall Buildings in Alexandria – level 3
A collapsing 13-storey housing block in Alexandria, Egypt, was luckily caught by a neighbouring high-rise, preventing it from toppling over completely.
Such an incident is no rarity in the Egyptian port city where high-rises have been collapsing at a rate of one per year. As a building engineer explained, in the field of real estate investment in Alexandria, most people who are working are, in fact, not engineers. What is even bizarre, he added, is that they also do not hire engineer to work for them, meaning that they work without any professional engineering expertise at all.
Mohamed Hafez, the building’s owner, said that the government gave him the option to restore the building but not to tear it down, so he told them that he will not be responsible for the building or its residents if it collapses. However, a government construction team is now tearing the tower down floor by floor.
Difficult words: prevent (stop something from happening), topple (overbalance and fall), expertise (expert skill or knowledge in a particular field).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos