Texas school shooting – level 1
Salvador Ramos is 18 years old. He lives with his grandmother in Texas, US. He buys guns on his birthday. He writes on social media that he will shoot his grandmother. Then he shoots her in her face.
Then he gets in a car. He drives to an elementary school. He gets inside through a back door. He kills 19 children and two adults. Later police shoot him.
The event is the worst school shooting in the US in the last 10 years. It is the 27th school shooting this year.
Parents are scared to send their children to school. Children are scared to go to school. The US president says that the gun lobby must stop.
Difficult words: elementary school (a school for children between five and eleven years old), adult (a person who is older than a child), lobby (a group of people who talk to politicians, and they want them to change laws).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.