The first Olympic Games – level 2
On April 6, 1896, 125 years ago, the first modern Olympic Games started in Athens, Greece.
The Games lasted 10 days and 241 athletes took part. The athletes came from 14 countries, and they competed in 43 different events. All athletes were European, but there was one exception, the US team. Winners got a silver medal and athletes who were second got a copper medal.
Later, the International Olympic Committee changed these prizes. Winners got a gold medal, and athletes who were second got a silver medal. Athletes on third place got a copper medal.
The 1896 Olympics were the largest sporting event so far, and they were very successful. Greece hosted the Olympics again 108 years later, in Summer 2004.
Difficult words: compete (to take part in a race or game), exception (something special which does not behave or work in the usual way), copper (a red-brown metal).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos