The Great Barrier Reef – level 2
The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef system of 2,500 reefs and islands. They stretch over about 248,000 square kilometers off the coast of Queensland, Australia.
In 1981, the Great Barrier Reef became part of UNESCO’s World Heritage, but now, the UN wants to change it. The UN report said that the corals are in danger because of climate change. The ocean temperature is getting higher, and it makes the corals bleach and die. The UN wants to put the Great Barrier Reef on the list of World Heritage in Danger.
Australia does not agree with the report. Australian officials said that the corals were colorful, and tourists liked them. If something changes, tourists may not come because they will not want to see dead corals.
Difficult words: coral reef (an underwater system of corals which look like colorful rocks), World Heritage (a very important or special place which people must protect for future people), bleach (to lose color).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Great Barrier Reef?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.