The Last Children – level 1
Nokdo is a South Korean island. It takes about 75 minutes to get there from the land by a boat.
Only 100 people live on the island. Only a few children live there. A school opens for them. A teacher is not there. The teacher must come from the mainland.
The children are happy there. They say that the island is quiet. Cars are not there. The air is clean. Sadly, the children do not have any playmates.
South Korea has the oldest people in the world. The number of people is going down. The problem starts in the past.
Many people start to work in big factories in the 1970s. Apartments and houses are expensive. Families have a few children. Many families have no children. It is a problem now. The population is getting old.
Difficult words: mainland (the country or continent without islands), playmate (a friend with whom a child plays), population (all people who live in a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos