The Palace of Westminster is Old – level 1
The Palace of Westminster is in London. It is old. It was built in the 19th century. It has damage. It must be renovated.
There are five plans. The cheapest plan is 3.5 billion pounds. The most expensive plan is 5.7 billion pounds.
The MPs must say which plan to choose. If they choose the cheap plan, they cannot be in the building for 6 years.
Difficult words: damage (problems), renovate (to make something old nice again), MP (a member of parliament).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Which solution would you choose?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.