The price of Europe’s energy crisis – level 1
In February 2022, Russia starts a war with Ukraine. The EU wants Russia to stop the war. It introduces sanctions on Russia. Many companies stop doing business in Russia.
Russia reacts to the sanctions. Russia doesn’t sell its gas to Europe anymore. It is a big problem for European countries. Prices of energy go up very much. People and companies don’t have enough money to pay their bills.
Governments must help. Europe already spends 850 billion dollars on the energy crisis. Germany spends 288 billion dollars. It is the most in all of Europe.
Difficult words: sanction (when one country takes action against another because the other country breaks a rule), bill (a piece of paper which says how much money someone must pay), energy crisis (a situation when there is not enough electricity or gas in a country or area).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What will happen to the economies of Europe if Russia doesn't sell its gas?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.