The taste of insects – level 1
Insects are very small animals. They can be spiders, bugs, or worms. In many parts of the world, people eat insects. It is a normal food for them to eat insects.
Insects are very healthy. Many Westerners don’t like eating insects. They think that they are disgusting.
Some insects taste like meat. For example, if you steam a meal worm, it smells like sweetcorn. If you fry it, it tastes like a shrimp.
Insects for food are much better than meat. Insects need less land and water. Cows and other animals make gasses that can be bad. Insects make almost none.
Difficult words: worm (a small animal which has a long, soft body, and no legs), disgusting (something that doesn’t taste good or something unpleasant), meal worm (an insect which destroys food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos