The true cost of food – level 1
Penny is a supermarket. It sells cheap food. Penny in Germany wants people to pay more money for food.
People must understand the true cost of food. Cheap food has a bad impact on the natural world. Germans spend only 11.1% of their money on food. It is less than people in the EU usually pay. Penny will charge more money for some products. The extra money will go to help farming. Penny expects fewer sales because of higher prices and inflation. The government wants to reduce the impact of farming on the natural world.
Experts will study how people react to Penny’s new prices.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures are being taken by the government to reduce the impact of farming on the natural world?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.