The world’s heaviest strawberry – level 2
A farmer in Israel grew the world’s heaviest strawberry. The strawberry was 18 centimeters long, and it weighed 289 grams, which was about five times more than a normal strawberry.
Cold weather was the reason why the strawberry grew so big. It didn’t ripen quickly, and it kept growing bigger and bigger. The man saw how big the strawberry was, and he thought that it could be a new world record. When he harvested the fruit, he put it in the freezer, and he waited for a message from the Guinness World Records. When he knew that he won, he took the fruit out of the freezer, and he showed it to everyone.
The previous world record strawberry grew in Japan in 2015, and it weighed 250 grams.
Difficult words: ripen (when fruit becomes ready to eat), harvest (to pick the fruit when it is ready to eat), previous (the one before the last).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos